Published: August 30, 2012
60-70’s were definitely the best muscle car design decades. One of many proves is ‘64 Pontiac Banshee Concept codenamed XP-883. It was John DeLorean‘s project. His team designed two 2-seaters: fiberglass coupe and roadster. You may obviously see some Corvettish design cues. No wonder why – the C3 Corvette was already on drawing boards. Since Banshee had to be cheaper, and DeLorean really want it in production, Pontiac got a cheaper solid rear axle.
Sadly, GM’s heads saw some serious threat to a Corvette, so they ordered DeLorean to stop Banshee project development.
The Banshee coupe was powered with overhead cam straight-6 mated to a 4-speed automatic transmission. It was finished in Metallic Silver and had red interior. The roadster was white and featured 326 CID V8. Luckily, both concepts are still “alive”. They were sold by RM Auctions for private collectors back in 2010 at Ritz-Carlton.
Photo credits: Darin Schnabel
]. Used with permission.
Total views: 1,801, today: 1
- 1954 Pontiac Bonneville Special This Bonneville concept was specially built to be unveiled at GM's Motorama back in 1954. Pontiac Bonneville Special is the first ever 2-seater sports car Pontiac has ever […]
- 1952 Chrysler D’Elegance. $1 million. RM Auctions estimates to get $1 million for this very first 1952 Chrysler D'Elegance concept car designed by Virgil Exner. Displayed first in Paris in 1952, the D’Elegance was also a […]
- Pontiac Firebird: 1982-1992, 3rd generation F-body Bird
Handling was the big thing about the 3rd generation Pontiac Firebird. F-body platform went through many tests including aerodynamic tunnel - in this way Firebird became the […]
- Lingenfelter T/A VS Phoenix T/A Lingenfelter
This one is the 2010 Lingenfelter TA concept based on 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS and powered by 455 cubic 655 HP LS engine [7.5 liter aluminum block]. While the original 1971 […]
- Pontiac Firebird: 1967-1969, 1st generation The Pontiac Firebird is a pony car like muscle car built by GM's Pontiac division in 1967-2002 period. Firebird shared the same platform as Chevrolet Camaro. Sharing platforms was popular […]